Full PlayStation Plus Member Benefits for PS4 Detailed, Non-PS+ Benefits Also Listed
As we’re just over two weeks away from the PlayStation 4 launch on November 15th in the United States and Canada, Sony has decided to release a Mega PS4 FAQ. Since it can be rather daunting and contains so much information, we’ll be breaking the important information we’ve yet to cover fully into separate posts, hopefully making finding what you need a little easier.
With PlayStation Plus being necessary for online multiplayer in nearly all PS4 games (F2P titles don’t), spending that $50 on a subscription is highly recommended. Once you officially become a PlayStation Plus member, online play isn’t the only thing you can expect, as pointed out below:
PlayStation Plus Member Benefits:
- Online Multiplayer – Enjoy multiplayer competitive and cooperatives games via the internet.
- Instant Game Collection – Access to a regular, curated selection of titles made exclusively available to PlayStation Plus members at no additional cost. The PS4 titles available on Instant Game Collection at PS4′s launch in North America will include Resogun and Contrast. After that, one new digital game will rotate in each month.
- Discounts – Members will have access to exclusive discounts on PlayStation Store.
- Online Game Save – Members may automatically (or manually) upload game save files to Online Game Save Storage for safekeeping. Up to 1GB of cloud storage will be allocated to your PS4 save files.
- Other benefits – Early access to exclusive game content, automatic game patch downloads and installation, and more.
- Carries Over to PS3/PS Vita – As long as you use the same account, your PS+ membership will be valid on your PS3 and PS Vita as well.
Additionally, here’s everything non-PlayStation Plus members can enjoy:
- Accessing entertainment, film, and TV services (Users must subscribe separately to individual services)
- Share options, including sending gameplay video and screenshots to Facebook, screenshots to Twitter, or livestreaming gameplay via Ustream or Twitch
- Sharing video to Facebook
- Playing PS4 games remotely using the PS Vita system (Remote Play)
- Comparing Trophy data with other users
- Sending and receiving text messages from other users
- PlayStation Store access (users must pay to purchase premium content)
- Live item, activity feeds on Dynamic Menu
- Party (cross game voice chat)
- Web browser
- PlayStation App services (on iOS/Android devices)
And here’s chart comparing PlayStation Plus on PS4 to that of PS3 and PS Vita:
For those of you who aren’t a PS+ member, you’ll be able to log into a PS4 system owned by a PS+ member, set as their Primary’ PS4, and play online multiplayer. This means that, for example, if one housemate is a PlayStation Plus member, everyone in the household will have access to online multiplayer.
Furthermore, up to 4 users can log into a PS4 simultaneously, and all will have access to online multiplayer, as long as the PS4 is set as ‘Primary’ by a PS+ member. In all, the PS4 will support up to 16 local accounts (again, only 4 can be logged in at once), in addition to temporary guest accounts.
Finally, you are able to block/unblock other PS4 users, and Parental Controls don’t allow you to control how long someone plays a game for.
More PS4 Details: