US PS4 Sales Are Higher Than Any Other New Gaming Platform in its First Year
With tomorrow marking the PlayStation 4’s first birthday, Sony Computer Entertainment America President and CEO Shawn Layden celebrated the occasion, revealing some very interesting stats about how successful the system was in just 12 months:
- 13.5 million PS4 systems shipped worldwide
- 1 billion hours spent playing PS4 online
- 530 million presses of the SHARE button
- Hardware sales generated the most revenue in the US during its first year than any other new gaming platforms (based on NPD tracking that began in 1995)
- 56 million unique active users
- September 2014 was the biggest month ever for business
- 7.9 million PlayStation Plus subscribers (270% increase in membership since PS4 launch)
As we know, in terms of consoles shipped to retailers, the PS4 is leading the Xbox by over 3.5 million units.
Layden also revealed that they have some fun looks back planned for PlayStation’s 20th anniversary:
I should also mention that we’re not only celebrating PS4’s first birthday, but also a significant milestone for our brand as we near the 20th anniversary of the original PlayStation on December 3rd. In the weeks leading up to this special day, I’m happy to announce that we have a series of blog posts planned to take a look back at twenty years of PlayStation. Those of you who have been with us from the beginning, along with those who are new to PlayStation family, are in for a special treat so please stay tuned.
How was your first year with the PS4?
[Source: PS Blog]