It is finally here everyone! Firmware 2.40 has been released! These are features a lot of people have been waiting on. Here is the list:
- The [Friends] category has been redesigned. Also the number of people who can be added as Friends has been increased to 100.
- A trophy feature has been added. You can now collect trophies for games that support this feature. To see your trophies, go to [Game]>[Trophy Collection]. To see a Friend’s trophies, go to the Friend’s [Profile].
- During gameplay, you can exchange messages with Friends or view trophies. You can perform these functions from the XMB (XcrossMediaBar) screen that is displayed when you press the PS button.
- You can now perform an Internet keyword search directly form the XMB screen. To use this feature, go to [Network]>[Internet Search].
ADDITIONAL CHANGES FOUND:
- There is now a “Turn Off System” option in the Users section of the XMB
- The PS Store has improved performance and you can change the viewing mode of items by pressing ‘square’. The two views available are the standard grid and a list view.
- There is a ‘controller vibration function’ option in the Accessory Settings under the Settings menu in the XMB
- There is now a ‘Reassign Controllers’ option in the Accessory Settings under the Settings menu in the XMB
- Increased navigation speed in PS Store
- New video selection options while watching other videos on Hard Drive
P.S. – ATTENTION READERS – *Developers* (through a patch) must enable custom soundtracks, XMB music in-game, or Trophies, not Sony. Future-forward though, Sony is going to request that developers include custom soundtrack ability and trophies, as it would be in their best interest to do so. As of yet, Sony has not made anything mandatory in regards to developers’ implementation of these features.
UPDATE: The firmware has been taken down by Sony from the servers due to some people experiencing problems.