Fumito Ueda has kept very quiet about his upcoming game, The Last Guardian. When gamers got a glimpse of the teaser trailer at E3, they couldn’t wait to hear more. At TGS, Ueda released new details on the game as well as a very short gameplay trailer. Now, Ueda has made even more known about The Last Guardian.
In their latest issue, PSM3 had an entire feature dedicated to The Last Guardian. They sat down to play through the first level of the game, and here is all the important information from their playthrough.
- The Last Guardian will be similar to Ico
- The game’s original music is not the one presented in the trailer. It’s just a test track being used.
- Ueda stated that he’s allowed to achieve things with the PS3 which he couldn’t manage to fulfill due to the tech on offer with PS2.
- Torico’s feathers, butterflies, dust, particles, everything is managed in real time, many great animations were all made by hand.
- The game we will not be as confined as in Ico.
- Torico can apparently eliminate the guards, the child however can’t do that (so he will be playing undercover when he is alone)
- Ueda didn’t reveal who the Last Guardian is, Torico or the boy. He said we’ll have to find out.
- Team ICO has sought technical advice from all in-house Sony Studios wherever possible.
- Torico-AI will focus on that moods and reactions to the environment. The game will be based on its relationship with the child to solve puzzles and explore the fortress.
- Guards in armor are actually shadows, when their armor glows, they can vanish.
- Ueda, does not consider his work as art. It could go much, much further in the concept art but that would make it difficult for some fun and commercial viability of titles. He must find the right balance.
- Ueda would love the game to release on time, however he won’t rush things.
- Ueda is wary not to make the game’s puzzles too difficult, however, he wants to maintain a good amount of challenge and hence they’re constantly beta-testing to measure the difficulty of puzzles and find the right balance.
- There will be less fighting sequences in TLG than in ICO
- Ueda has assured that the game will be released by the end of this year, atleast in Japan.
I know I’m not the only one hoping for a worldwide release of The Last Guardian instead of delayed release in the west.