The NPD Group has released its monthly US sales figures for hardware and software across all platforms for the month of August. The stat tracking period for the month includes all revenue generated from July 31st through August 27th. Retail sales dropped 23% to $669.9 million – software dropped 34% to $264.8 million – hardware fell 12% to $249.4 million – accessories dropped 1% to $134.7 million. Deus Ex: Human Revolution received the top honors, rising to the number one spot on the chart.
Top ten software sales:
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution (360, PS3, PC) Square Enix Inc
- NCAA Football 12 (360, PS3) Electronic Arts
- Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, NDS, Wii, PC) Activision Blizzard
- Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd (NDS, Wii, PS3) Disney Interactive Studios
- Cars 2 (NDS, Wii, 360, PS3, PC) Disney Interactive Studios
- Just Dance Summer Party (Wii) Ubisoft
- Just Dance 2 (Wii) Ubisoft
- Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC) Disney Interactive Studios
- The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS) Nintendo
- Zumba Fitness: Join the Party (Wii, 360, PS3) Majesco
- PS3: 218K*
- Xbox 360: 308K
- Nintendo 3DS: 235K
- Wii: 190K
- Nintendo DS: 165K
*PS3 sales are only an approximation: Sony didn’t announce their figures, but Microsoft revealed that they had 43% of next gen console sales – thanks to 1UP for the maths.
SCEA’s senior director of corporate communications, Patrick Seybold, said in a statement:
Despite inventory constraints at retail during the first half of August, PS3 hardware sales were very strong the last two weeks of the month following the $50 price cut and the new inFAMOUS 2 bundle. The new PS3 price point, combined with PlayStation Move and the industry’s strongest lineup of exclusive titles, including Uncharted 3 and Everybody Dance, positions us for an amazing holiday season.
It is rather disappointing that the PS3 price cut hasn’t had a very dramatic affect on total hardware sales. However, Sony recently issued a statement that PS3 software sales are on the rise, and in many cases are outpacing their competitors.