Final Fantasy XIV fans are eagerly awaiting the release of the upcoming patch 4.2 to the game, and Square Enix has some good news for everyone, as they have announced it will be releasing globally at the end of the month, on January 30. Even better, they released a brand new trailer to show off some of the content, with a truly special surprise waiting for players at the end.
That’s right, that’s Kefka – the main villain from Final Fantasy VI – at the end of the trailer, giving us a sinister smile and a laugh right as it ends. Square Enix hasn’t given us much information on what role he will play in the game, but fans can finally rest easy knowing he will be in the game in some capacity.
As far as the upcoming 4.2 patch goes, there’s a ton of new content coming into the game, most of which you can find out below:
- New Main Scenario Quests – Thanks to the Warrior of Light’s heroic deeds and Raubahn’s long-awaited return, Ala Mhigo continues its steady march towards recovery. All is not well in the East however, with worrying rumours coming out of Doma.
- New Raid Dungeon – The next arc in the Omega raid series, Omega: Sigmascape arrives to test the Warrior of Light’s limits even further. With familiar faces from FINAL FANTASY V being summoned up previously, today’s trailer shows Sigmascape populated with features very reminiscent of FINAL FANTASY VI…
- New Trial – Meet one of The Four Lords, Byakko, in this challenging new Trial kicking off a fresh series of side quests.
- New Dungeons – Two new high-level Dungeons: Hells’ Lid and The Fractal Continuum (Hard).
- New Beast Tribe Quests – The Vira, one of the tribes of snake-like Ananta, have long supported the efforts of the Resistance by sending warriors to bolster their ranks. Now they turn to the Warrior of Light for help.
- Glamour Dressers – Convert clothing, weapons, and tools into glamours at inns, and combine these into a complete ensemble for convenient customisation of player outfits.
- The Feast PvP Updates – Alongside a fresh ruleset and the addition of The Crystal Tower Training Grounds map, the new PvP Team System will allow groups of up to six to compete in ranked matches while communicating using a special group chat function.
- A New Duty Recorder Feature – Analyse your raids from multiple viewpoints to improve tactics or relive your greatest battles with this new video playback feature.
- Housing Updates – New wards and neighborhoods will be added to each of the four residential areas.
- Updates to bard’s performance actions, additional inventory through the use of a new companion storage feature, new more powerful gear and more.
Final Fantasy XIV is available now.