Capcom Expecting to Lose $40 Million, Isn’t Changing Financial Projections
Capcom is expecting to lose quite a bit of money, but it’s not worried. As a result of the restructuring of Capcom Vancouver, which saw massive layoffs and the termination of projects, the company is expecting “record losses.” The total adds up to about 4.5 billion yen, or around $40 million USD.
Earlier in 2018, Capcom Vancouver went through a massive overhaul. This affected around 30% of the studio. As an example of a casualty, the Puzzle Fighter mobile game was shut down in July 2018, about five months after its November 2017 launch. This does not even get into untitled and unrevealed projects. As the official press release said, “Capcom now expects to record losses from the termination of development projects of approximately 4.5 billion yen under cost of sales in its consolidated financial results for the six months of the fiscal year ending March 31, 2019.”
Don’t pour one out for Capcom yet, though. Despite the record loss, the company isn’t changing any of its earlier financial forecasts. It’s all thanks to Monster Hunter: World, which was the only title name-checked in the press release. Capcom’s juggernaut has managed to sell more than 10 million units, and reached 8 million before it even made it to PC. It looks like Capcom’s best-selling game may be almost singlehandedly saving the company’s financial outlooks.
In the company’s earlier financial results announcement, Capcom stated it had two “major” titles set to be released before the end of March 2019. Resident Evil 2 and Devil May Cry V, which release in January 2019 and March 2019 respectively, certainly seem to fit that bill. Capcom had also previously said it’s more concerned with the quality of its games than its sales numbers.