Hollow Knight is getting a sequel called Hollow Knight: Silksong. Team Cherry announced the news with a blog post, reveal trailer (featured above), and a twenty-minute vlog discussing what the team is doing and why. The game will star Hornet in an all-new adventure featuring new towns, friends, quests, tools, and over 150 new enemies.
Hollow Knight: Silksong will launch first on Nintendo Switch and PC, but “more platforms may happen” according to the team’s official website. In the “details from Team Cherry vlog” the Game Designers Art Gibson and William Pellen expanded on this.
We haven’t confirmed all the consoles. That’s just because it’s just the three of us [making the game]… and we don’t want to start diving into things… that are probably more than our bandwith.
I think basically we can’t confirm any other platforms at launch but we’d love more platforms whether that’s at launch or not, we’re not sure. So we’ll just keep talking about it as we go.
Considering the fact that the first game eventually made its way to the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, there’s a good chance we’ll be getting it at some point. But with no release date set for the game, for all we know it could be on PS5.
The news came as a bit of a surprise, though the timing couldn’t have been better. Today, we thought we’d get a first look at Hollow Knight DLC. Instead, we’re getting a brand new adventure, because the team’s work “quickly became too large and too unique to stay a DLC.”
If you’re one of the people who backed Hollow Knight on Kickstarter you’ll be getting a copy of Hollow Knight: Silksong for free on either platform.
Rather than travel down below, Hornet is going to ascend to the peak of a haunted kingdom. Below are the official game details.
- Discover a whole new kingdom! Explore coral forests, mossy grottos, gilded cities and misted moors as you ascend to the shining citadel at the top of the world.
- Engage in lethal acrobatic action! Wield a whole new suite of nimble moves as you dance between foes in deadly, beautiful combat.
- Craft powerful tools! Master an ever-expanding arsenal of weapons, traps and mechanisms to confound your enemies and explore new heights.
- Solve shocking quests! Hunt down rare beasts, unearth ancient mysteries and search for lost treasures to fulfil the wishes of the downtrodden and restore the kingdom’s hope. Prepare for the unexpected!
- Face over 150 all-new foes! Beasts and hunters, assassins and kings, monsters and knights – defeat them all with bravery and skill!
- Experience a stunning orchestral score! Hollow Knight’s award-winning composer, Christopher Larkin, returns to bring melancholy melodies, symphonic strings and heart-thumping, soul strumming boss themes to the adventure.
- Challenge Silk Soul mode! Once you conquer the game, test your skills in an all-new mode that spins the game into a unique, challenging experience.