This Week in PlayStation – May 28th
As announcements for new games and hardware come and go, it’s easy to lose sight of the momentous events that shaped the gaming world into what it is today. This Week in PlayStation highlights Sony’s rich videogame heritage, which dates back to the 1980’s. Step back in time with us as we put the spotlight on events big and small that have significantly altered the gaming culture.
This Week in PlayStation May 22nd – May 28th
- 2001 - The awesome-cult title, Red Faction, releases exclusively to the PlayStation 2.
- 2002 - Take-Two reveals development on Conflict: Desert Storm. The game is scheduled to release for the PS2, PC, GameCube and Xbox, in the Fall.
- 2006 - Banking on the early success of the wildy-popular show, LOST, Ubisoft announces development on a videogame based on the IP.
- 2008 - In a rather unorthodox move, Take-Two reveals that they are announcing the cover athlete for NBA 2k9 during an intermission of the first game of the NBA Finals.
- 2008 – The title that could never match the original hype gamers had for it, Haze, becomes available to North American PS3 owners.
- 2007 - Two-time FIFA Player of the Year, Ronaldinho, is announced as the cover athlete for FIFA Soccer 2008.
- 2000 - Gamers get their robot on, as Super Robot Taisen Alpha releases for the PlayStation.
- 2001 - CART Fury Championship Racing releases to North American retailers, for the PlayStation.
- 2009 - The first portable title of its kind, Rock Band Unplugged for the PSP, releases to North American and European retailers.
- 2009 – Sucker Punch’s highly anticipated PS3-exclusive, inFamous, shocks North American retailers.
- 2003 - Hulk terrorizes PlayStation 2 owners, as it ships to North American retailers.
- 2008 – The final competition of Electronic Arts’ FIFA Interactive World Player 2008. Alfonso Ramos defeated Michael Ribeiro, 3-1, to become the best FIFA player in the world, and in doing so, won a $20,000 USD cash prize and the invitation to attend the FIFA World Player Gala, in early 2009.
- 2009 - EA details the games they will presenting at the 2009 E3 convention. Topping the list include Brutal Legend, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Spore, Dante’s Inferno, Dragon Age: Origins, FIFA 10 and The Saboteur. Geeks around the world nearly explode with excitement.
- 2008 - Teaming up with Allen Carr, Ubisoft announces development on a Nintendo DS game that will help smokers quit their addicting habit. The game is based on the series of books and videos that have sold over 10 million worldwide.
- 2008 - Just a sign of the times: Take-Two announces the once-Xbox 360 exclusive, Bioshock, is coming to the PS3. The new version will have additional content that Xbox 360 owners did not receive.