PSLS.net Home

Sony Ends Contract With PlayStation All-Stars Developer, SuperBot’s Future at Risk

February 4, 2013 Written by Sebastian Moss

Sony has confirmed that they’ve cut ties with PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale developer SuperBot Entertainment, after the studio already laid off around 20 staff last month.

A Sony representative told Kotaku:

Sony Computer Entertainment can confirm that the working agreement with developer SuperBot Entertainment has amicably ended. We have had a positive working relationship with this talented studio, and wish them the best of success in their next endeavor. PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale and the title’s forthcoming DLC releases will continue to be fully supported by Santa Monica Studio.

Kotaku claims that a source told them that, due to Sony’s decision, SuperBot will have to close, but nothing is official.

SuperBot was created in 2009 as an independent developer to work on PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, which was met with lackluster sales when it released at the end of the 2012.

Update:

A statement to IGN paints a brighter future for SuperBot:

SuperBot Entertainment can confirm that the relationship with SCEA has ended on good terms. We are extremely grateful to have had the opportunity to work on with Sony on Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, and are extremely proud of the work we have done. SuperBot Entertainment will continue working on projects that reflect our passion for games and our commitment to creating award winning titles. We are very excited about beginning the next chapter of our future and invite all of our fans and supporters to follow our journey.