Sony Q3 Financials: PS4 & PS3 Combine for 7.8 Million in Sales, PS Vita & PSP Combine for 2 Million
Today saw Sony releasing their Q3 FY2013 (ending December 31st, 2013) financials, with the entire company posting sales and operating revenue of nearly $23 billion USD.
Looking at the PlayStation side of Sony, the Games business made just over $4.2 billion USD, a 64.6% increase year-over-year (or a 33% increase on a constant currency basis). Sony attributes the gain to the PS4 launch in North America, Europe, and Latin America, while also highlighting the favorable foreign exchange rates. They do add, however, that the PS3 hardware suffered a “significant decrease” in sales.
Moving over to sales, Sony detailed the third quarter numbers for their systems and software:
- PS4 + PS3 hardware combined – 7.8 million units (compared to 6.8 million in last year’s Q3)
- PS Vita + PSP hardware combined – 2.0 million units (compared to 2.7 million in last year’s Q3)
- All Software (includes retail and digital) – 126 million copies (compared to 84 million in last year’s Q3)
Specifically for the PS4, Sony brought up how it sold 4.2 million hardware units and 9.7 million pieces of software during the six weeks after it was released. They also said PlayStation Plus saw a “dramatic increase” in the number of members.
Looking ahead, here’s what Sony expects to sell in each category for the full fiscal year (year-to-date totals in parentheses):
- PS4 + PS3 hardware combined – 15 million units (10.9 million so far)
- PS Vita + PSP hardware combined – 5 million units (3.4 million so far)
- All Software (includes retail and digital) – 360 million copies (283 million so far)
Do you think Sony will hit its projected targets for the PlayStation systems? Let us know in the comments below.