PlayStation VR currently boasts the most brand awareness when compared to its virtual reality competition, according to retail analyst SuperData.
A recent report conducted on the emerging market reveals that “PSVR will be this year’s winner when it comes to high-end devices, taking on 69% of PC and console’s combined shipment totals this year.”
Citing accessibility, competitive pricing and Sony’s relationship with retailers as key factors, the outlet also published figures that gauge the level of interest from consumers. Here, SuperData revealed the following:
- 6M Americans say they intend to purchase a PlayStation VR this year versus 5M for Oculus Rift and 2M for the HTC Vive; however, production will not be able to fulfill PC headset demand at the current rate.
- 28% of Americans have heard of PlayStation VR versus 22% for Oculus Rift, 21% for Samsung Gear VR and just 5% for the HTC Vive.
- 52% are uninterested in purchasing a device or do not know what VR is, only 16% are sure they will purchase a device at some point.
- 26% say devices are too expensive.
- 49% have not heard of any headset brands.
PlayStation VR is currently on course for a worldwide release in October. Do you think Sony’s headset has what it takes to fend off competition from the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive?