Even though it’s been out less than a week, Treyarch has already put out an update for Call of Duty: Black Ops 4. While the update comes with your usual stability changes, the most notable alteration is an increased Blackout battle royale player count.
Duos can now be played with up to 100 players, the highest player count currently in Black Ops 4. On the other hand, the player count for Quads, which was previously 100, was dropped down to 88.
This isn’t the first time Treyarch has experimented with the player count in Blackout. The beta started off with a cap of 80 players, which was then upped to 88. By the end of the beta, Treyarch decided to go all-out and increase the player count to 100, similar to that of Fortnite and PUBG. The player count for Solo matches remains at 88 players.
With the record number of Call of Duty players connecting to the internet, it makes sense to see Treyarch work to increase the player count in a match. We’ll likely see all modes upped to 100 players, but that may take some time, considering the logistical issues that are sure to follow.
Here are the full patch notes for the Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 update:
- General stability improvements and crash fixes.
- The Featured playlist tiles for Multiplayer and Blackout have changed today. This is part of the regular rotation of Featured playlists – more details to come on how Featured playlists will work in Black Ops 4 in a separate update.
- 100-Player Duos
- 100-Players Duos is now the Featured playlist for Blackout.
- 88-Player Quads
- Quads playlist is now 88 maximum players. We’re continuing to update various game settings to ensure the best experience for all players across all platforms and modes.
- Playlist Updates
- TDM playlist now supports parties of 6 (was previously 5).
- Featured playlist changed to Heist.
- Custom Games
- Custom Search and Destroy games will now correctly conclude after one team wins 6 rounds total, fixing an issue where custom games previously ended at round 7.
- Addressed a crash caused by earning multiple Medals in a match.
- Addressed a UI error caused by losing Internet connection in split screen.
Treyarch also promises that a bigger update is coming later in the week. If you haven’t yet, be sure to read our Black Ops 4 review. You can also see the playable characters in Blackout exclusive to season pass holders.